Between working in retail for 8 years and running my own Etsy shop for 2 years, before I started selling on Poshmark, I have had my fair share of shipping items. I thought it would be helpful to share some shipping strategies that I have picked up over time. These will not only help you when shipping your items from your Poshmark sales, but also come in handy anytime you find yourself needing to ship gifts and packages to others.
You can pick up free priority mail shipping boxes & envelopes from your local post office, or, in most cases, order boxes from their website to have them shipped right to your front door! Mostly I use these smaller boxes and these flexible envelopes, because the majority of items that I ship are jewelry and smaller items. However, I have used these boxes to ship shoes and larger packages (like bundles).
Dollar Store Supplies
I buy most of the extra items that I use in shipping my Posh packages, from my local dollar store. My favorite thing to buy at the dollar store is tape. They have large rolls of packing tape, as well as decorative tape, and washi tape, all for $1! You can also buy markers, plastic zip bags, and wrapping paper here. (Remember, you want to keep your shipping supply costs low, because these will begin to cut into your profits, if you’re not careful.)
How to Pack Your Posh Package
- Usually, I wrap each item in tissue paper. The tissue paper helps to protect your item AND it makes your package look pretty.
- I put every item I ship into a clear, plastic zip bag. (Another reason I like to buy these at the dollar store, is because I can get the large, gallon sized ones without any logos on them.) Remember, the boxes are not water proof, so just putting your item into the box, even if it is wrapped in tissue paper, still poses the risk that something could become wet and damaged in shipment. I also try to put my thank you card in the clear bag to keep it from getting wet.
- After you get everything packed into your box, make sure you tape the box closed. Do not trust that the adhesive on the shipping box is enough to hold the box closed until it reaches its destination. Also, make sure that your label is taped securely to the box and is not peeling off in anyway.
- I also highly recommend using boxes to ship hats, jewelry, accessories, and cosmetics. The box will provide a secure barrier around the item and keep it from being squished by other boxes and items during transit.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative. Wrap and make your Posh packages pretty for your buyers. I get compliments about my packaging in my reviews, so trust me, they will notice.
- Save things like tissue paper, packing paper, and bubble wrap from other packages you receive. These things can be easily recycled, and you’ll have more money to spend on Poshmark!
- If you can’t make it to the post office, you can go online to see if your address qualifies for package pickup by USPS. You just enter in your address and your mail carrier will pick up your packages during their normal route.
I hope these shipping tips will help you get your Posh packages safely to their buyers! Feel free to leave your questions in the comments, or you can find me on Twitter & Instagram: @SydneyEllePM or my Poshmark closet @SydneyElle
Disclaimer: I do not work for Poshmark, nor is this post affiliated with them in any way.